Saturday 8 October 2011

Time to eat some humble pie……..Football trumps club v country debate.

Time to eat some humble pie……..Football trumps club v country debate.


In an earlier post I was happy to expound on my preference for Club football over the International experience. My visits to the Liberty to shout on the Premier League’s graceful birds are , and will quite probably remain, a particular preference above International football. But that’s been put to an interesting test - at the Liberty tonight Wales played host to Switzerland in a European Championship qualifying tie that, as I’ve said before, came too late to see them qualify, but pitted them against a Swiss side that was above them in the Group, and still had an outside chance of getting to the Ukraine/Poland based tournament .

After Wales’ previous tie, which had seen them beat joint Group leaders Montenegro 2-1, it was a chance to show Welsh progress (if any) under Gary Speed, and his attempt to evolve the Dragons into a modern, skilful passing team modelled on the SCFC ethos and to measure their progress before the next International qualifying tournament- the World Cup. As a self confessed Football Junky I hunkered down in front of the TV on a mission to get at least a fix of some sort with both that game and England’s trip to Podgorica against Montenegro showing on Sky.

I started my evening watching Capello’s men take the game to the Balkan side and for the first half hour was content to channel surf to the Liberty every 5 mins or so. By the time I finally took the plunge and switched to my spiritual home, England had established a 2-0 lead - game over then,huh - and despite Barry Horne’s irritating and just plain wrong interjections as co-commentator it became obvious that I was watching the more enjoyable game. Supplemented by the Twitter feed on my laptop, and fortified by a very nice bottle of Gran Vega Privado, a Spanish Rose from Campo de Borja of progressively better provenance by the glass, I watched Speedo’s men give truth to the idea that they are making significant and noticeable progress. What I mean to say is that Wales are obviously getting better by the game.

Built on the modern, fluid, pass and move model I see from the Swans- (and other good teams I’ll admit) - Wales gave a display that both made me proud by association and satisfied by result. That they beat Switzerland 2-0 you’ll be aware. What you may not, is that it was so satisfying to watch, given that the greater proportion of the TV audience is more likely to have been watching “England’s best player” give another example of his manifest shortcomings in getting needlessly sent off , and the England national team a hint at their propensity to panic under pressure. Montenegro, urged on by passionate support, came back from that self-same 2-0 down start to earn a 2-2 draw.

So I think it’s time to ‘fess up.

Having declared my love of Club over Country, here I was out and out enjoying Country without Club. Do you know what? It really was nice. Not only that, it taught me something of a lesson - that in my Premiership induced, hyperbole Radio and TV’d unthinking viewing- I was in danger of selling myself short. What I really love is just good football.
It can be any sort……West End v Plasmarl or Seaside v Pengelli in local football; Swansea City v Sunderland in the Prem; Wales v Switzerland Internationally.Whatever.

I have an idea I’m not alone. Particularly amongst fellow Swans.


## Peter Thomas is planning to enjoy Norwich City v Swansea City in the Barclays Premier League and must stop talking about himself in the third person.

No comments: